Thursday, March 13, 2008

Overview

The topic I chose for my research paper is Capital Punishment. Capital Punishment is in actuality the death penalty. The contraversy surrounding this topic is obvious. Is it ever just to take someone's life? This question causes religious, political, and ethical views to clash. Subtopics surrounding this broad topic include alternatives, such as life imprisonmnent. In continuation of the life imprisonment, the question arises as to whether or not it is actually a just alternative to captial punishment. In Cold Blood will also become a topic of discussion, as to whether or not Perry and Dick should have recieved Capital Punishment. Another question that arises is whether or not capital punishment deters crime? Evidence exists on both sides of that argument.

Personally, I take the standing point that capital punishment is not a just practice. I also feel as though life imprisonment is a just alternative. However, there is a lot of evidence supporting both sides. I personally do not believe that it is ever just to take another human life. Laws should not be built to openly embrace the concept of vengence.

1 comment:

Jarrett B said...

Very interesting. It is a good idea to use In Cold Blood in your research process. Even though I disagree with you on your stance, I think that you could go far with it.